Dr. Allen Berkowitz
In 2017, Dr. Allen Berkowitz joined Advanced Orthopedics New England, bringing more than 25 years of experience treating the upper extremity, focusing on the hand, wrist, forearm, and elbow. As a surgeon, he treats complicated fractures of the hand and wrist, Carpal Tunnel surgery, complex soft tissue injuries, reconstruction of the injured hand and wrist, and vascular disorders. Dr. Berkowitz prides himself on listening to his patients, understanding who they are, and what they do at work and with leisure time to help them decide what care will benefit them. He strongly believes most problems patients present can be diagnosed simply by listening to the patient attentively.
Physician Associate- Michael Harris, PA-C
Michael Harris attended Springfield College graduating Cum Laude with a Bachelor of Science degree in Sports Biology in 2009 and Suma Cum Laude with a Master of Science degree in Physician Assistant studies in 2013. He has been practicing in orthopedic surgery since 2013 and is a Physician Assistant with Dr. Allen Berkowitz, specializing in surgery of the hand, wrist, and elbow.
He has also been a member of the American Academy of Physician Assistants since 2013 and assists with precepting physician assistant students in their orthopedic elective rotations. He is passionate about all aspects of orthopedics; however, he has keen interests in hand and upper extremity surgery, joint replacement, trauma surgery, and orthopedic oncology.
Undergraduate: University of Rochester, B.A. Biology 1980, Rochester, New York, magna cum laude 1980, Phi Beta Kappa 1980, Rochester Plan Early Selection Program 1978, 1976 – 1980
University of Rochester, M.D. 1984, Rochester, New York, 1980 – 1984
Internship/Residency: General Surgery, New York University, Bellevue Medical Center New York, New York, 1984 – 1986
Residency: Orthopaedic Surgery, New York University, Bellevue Medical Center, New York, New York, 1986 – June
Fellowship: Hand Surgery, Raymond M. Curtis Hand Center, Union Memorial Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland, 1990 – 1991
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery 1993, 2003, 2013
- Certificate of Added Qualification in Surgery of the Hand – ABOS 1994, 2003, 2013
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- New Millennium Hand Club
- New England Hand Society
- Connecticut Sports Medicine Institute
- Clinical Associate Department of Orthopedic Surgery UCONN Medical School
- “Top Doc” Philadelphia Magazine 2015
- Why Hand Surgery Fails. Presented at the 15th Annual Pennsylvania/New Jersey Conference International Association of Rehabilitation Professionals. Atlantic City, New Jersey. 2014.
- Success in Private Practice. Instructional Course presented at American Association for Hand Surgery Annual Meeting. Maui, Hawaii 2009.
- Comminuted Fractures of Distal Radius. Presented at Annual Congress of Hellenic Society for Reconstructive Microsurgery and Hellenic Society for Surgery of the Hand. Hersonissos, Crete 2003.
- ORIF of Phalangeal Fractures. Presented at Annual Congress of Hellenic Society for Reconstructive Microsurgery and Hellenic Society for Surgery of the Hand. Hersonissos, Crete 2003.
- Cases from Hell. Presented at Annual Congress of Hellenic Society for Reconstructive Microsurgery and Hellenic Society for Surgery of the Hand, Hersonissos, Crete. 2003.
- Current Update on Treatment of Radial Nerve Injury Associated with Fractures of the Humerus. Presented at the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons 69th Annual Meeting – Specialty Day/ASSH. Dallas, Texas 2002.
- Anatomic Study of the Superficial Radial Nerve. Presented at the American Society for Surgery of the Hand 47th Annual Meeting. Phoenix, Arizona 1992.
- Jih, D.M., Elenitsas, R., Vittorio, C., Berkowitz, A.R., Seykora, J.T.: Aggressive Digital Papillary Adenocarcinoma. The American Journal of Dermatopathology 23:143, 2001
- Marlowe, E.S., Bonner, F.J., Berkowitz, A.R.: Correlation Between Two-Point Discrimination and Median Nerve Sensory Response. Muscle and Nerve 22:1196-1200, 1999
- Berkowitz, A.R., Melone, C.P., Belsky, M.R.: Pisiform – Hamate Coalition with Ulnar Neuropathy J. Hand Surg. 17A:657-662, 1992
- Burger, R.M., Berkowitz, A.R., Peisach, J., Horwitz, S.B.: Origin of Malondialdehyde from DNA Degraded by Fe (II)-Bleomycin. J.Biological Chemistry 255(24):11832-11838, 1989
- Jason, M., Devereux, R., Borer, J.S., Pickering, T., Fisher, J., Harshfield, G., Berkowitz, A., Laragh, J.: 24 Hour Arterial Pressure Measurement: Improved Prediction of Left Ventricular Dysfunction in Essential Hypertension. J. Am. College of Cardiology (Abstracts) 1(2) part 2:599, 1983
- Burger, R.M., Berkowitz, A.R., Peisach, J., Horwitz, S.B.: Origins of Malondialdehyde in Bleomycin-Degraded DNA. Federation Proceedings (Abstracts) 39 (6):1881, 1980
See Dr. Berkowitz interviewed on Better Connecticut, discussing his treatment of a badly fractured hand and the importance and process of Urgent Care at Advanced Orthopedics.