The musculoskeletal system frequently sustains injuries or becomes affected by diseases. This is due to how much we use our muscles, bones, and joints in everyday activities. Orthopedic doctors are invaluable for the proper diagnosis and treatment of musculoskeletal disorders and injuries.
Wondering what else makes orthopedic doctors so important? Here are some of the ways they contribute to patient care:
They Understand the Musculoskeletal System
Orthopedic doctors are experts in musculoskeletal care. They understand how the body’s bones, joints, and muscles work. They know how these structures provide movement and stability. Additionally, they recognize the anatomy and biomechanics of the body and how a musculoskeletal injury or disorder impacts them. This means they can accurately diagnose and treat conditions within a reasonably short time.
They Provide Accurate Diagnoses
To treat a musculoskeletal condition correctly, an orthopedic doctor must first accurately diagnose it. To determine the cause of a problem, orthopedic doctors combine:
- Physical examination – they look at the site of the injury, understand your symptoms, and ask questions about your medical history
- Diagnostic tests – such as imaging tests like X-ray or MRI
- Lab tests – to look for signs of infection or inflammation
These diagnostic tools help orthopedic doctors identify and accurately diagnose musculoskeletal conditions.
Orthopedic doctors have the expertise to tend to numerous injuries and diseases. Some examples include:
- Fractures – cracks or breaks in bones
- Sprains – stretched or torn ligaments
- Arthritis – an inflammation of joints caused by wear and tear
- Osteoporosis – a bone-thinning condition
- Tendonitis – inflammation of tendons due to overuse
- Bursitis – inflammation in the fluid-filled sacs around joints
They Use the Latest Treatment Techniques
Orthopedic doctors know the latest treatments for musculoskeletal conditions. This means they can provide patients with the most effective and least invasive procedures possible. These treatments range from simple stretches and exercises to minimally invasive surgeries.
Orthopedic doctors are experts in these non-surgical treatments:
- Immobilization – using a splint or cast to keep the injured area in place
- Physical therapy – exercises that strengthen muscles and reduce inflammation
- Pain medications – prescribing over-the-counter or prescription drugs
- Activity modifications – recommending lifestyle changes to lessen strain on the injury
- Injections – administering medicine directly into the affected area
- Braces, crutches, or walking aids – providing support to the injured area
In addition, orthopedic doctors are also skilled in performing surgical procedures. These include:
- Fusion – fusing bones together to limit movement and relieve pain
- Joint replacement – replacing damaged joints with artificial ones
- Arthroscopy – using a thin tube with a camera to repair damage
- Ligament reconstruction – replacing or repairing torn ligaments
These specialized surgeries help to repair musculoskeletal damage caused by injuries or diseases.
They Empower Patients
Orthopedic doctors strive to empower their patients. They educate them about their conditions and encourage them to participate in their own treatment. This means orthopedic doctors are more than just medical professionals. They see to it that patients understand their condition and take control of their own health to get better.
They Promote Wellness
Orthopedic doctors are dedicated to helping their patients maintain a healthy lifestyle. They provide them with advice on diet, exercise, and other lifestyle habits.This guidance can help patients like you prevent musculoskeletal injuries. They also teach patients how to take care of their joints and muscles. This ensures they can stay active well into old age.
When to Visit an Orthopedic Doctor
Experiencing joint pain, stiffness, swelling, or any other musculoskeletal symptoms? If so, now is the time to visit an orthopedic doctor.They can diagnose and treat musculoskeletal conditions, so you can get back to your regular activities.
Aside from treating injuries, orthopedic doctors are also dedicated to promoting overall health and wellness. Consider visiting one if:
- You are looking for advice about exercise and lifestyle modifications
- You want to stay active as you age
- You have a chronic orthopedic condition
- You are an athlete or physically active individual looking to prevent injuries
Also, consider setting up regular appointments with an orthopedic doctor. They can provide you with check-ups to ensure your joints and muscles stay healthy in the long run.
Comprehensive Orthopedic Patient Care in Hartford County, CT
Orthopedic doctors have a tremendous impact on patient care. They diagnose and treat musculoskeletal conditions, empower their patients, and promote overall wellness. With their help, you can stay healthy, active, and able to do the activities you love. Visit your orthopedic doctor today if you experience any musculoskeletal issues. Also, consider scheduling regular check-ups to prevent future injuries.
On the search for comprehensive orthopedic patient care near you? You can trust Advanced Orthopedics New England and our board-certified orthopedic surgeons. Our healthcare providers will give you the comprehensive and personalized treatment you deserve. Call our helpful staff today at (860) 728-6740. You can also submit an online appointment request form to schedule a visit with us.
We look forward to giving you the comprehensive patient care you deserve!